In this tutorial I will be showing how to achieve a glowing effect using Unity's Post Processing package.
So let's begin!
First we need to download the Post Processing package.
- In Unity go to Window -> Package Manager
- In Package Manager select "All packages"
- Wait for all packages to load, then select "Post Processing" from the list
- Click "Install" at the top right corner (If it's not installed yet). Wait for package to install.
- Select Main Camera and add a "Post Process Layer" component
- Change the Layer value to "PostProcessing"
- Change Main Camera layer to "PostProcessing"
- Add another component called "Post Process Volume"
- Check the "Is Global" checkbox
- Right click on Assets folder -> Create -> Post-processing Profile, call it "BloomProfile"
- Select "BloomProfile" and in Inspector View click Add effect... -> Unity -> Bloom
- In Bloom effect check the Intensity, Diffusion and Fast Mode check boxes and set the values from the screenshot below:
- Assign "BloomProfile" to Profile variable in "Post Process Volume"
- Drag & Drop the object which you want to apply glowing effect to (In my case it'll be a model of lightsaber)
- Select the material that you want to glow and make sure it's Shader is set to "Standard"
- Enable the "Emission" checkbox
- Click on the "HDR" color and increase the "Intensity" value
The object should now glow: