A Unity project refers to a collection of files, assets, and settings that are organized within the Unity game development engine. It serves as the foundation for creating, editing, and building a game or interactive application.
When creating a Unity project, it establishes a designated workspace where one can develop the game or an application.
To create a project in Unity, follow the steps below:
- Install the Unity Hub and any version of Unity (if you haven't yet)
- In Unity Hub click on 'Projects' then click 'NEW'
- A new window will appear where you can set the project name, select the project template, and pick the location where the project folder will be created:
- If you want to develop a 2D game, select the '2D' template, otherwise select the '3D' template (Tip: Click on the (i) icon near each template to see what's included in it).
- Click 'CREATE' and wait for the new project to initialize.
- After the project is created, the Unity editor will be opened automatically:
That's it, you have now created a new project in Unity and can begin developing a game or another type of project.